Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thanksgiving Blessings Mix


I do this each year for Thanksgiving. I like to vary who I give them to. Sometimes it’s my friends, sometimes it’s my neighbors and if I do Thanksgiving in my home I give them to my guests. It often seems that Thanksgiving gets skipped because it comes after Halloween and before Hanukkah and Christmas, but I think it’s important to remember why we have Thanksgiving and this is a great reminder. (Plus it taste’s good!)
Children can easily help you with this by measuring and pouring and gently mixing the ingredients and putting them into the bags.


Thanksgiving Blessing Mix
2 cups Bugles brand corn snacks
2 cups small pretzels
1 cup candy corn
1 cup dried fruit bits or raisins
1 cup peanuts or sunflower seeds
1 cup M&Ms-brand chocolate candy
16 Hershey's-brand chocolate kisses

(You can also use Trail mix for the dried fruit, and nuts. Sam’s Club carries a large bag of Mountain Mix that even includes M&Ms which works really well. Try to buy your Candy Corn after Halloween and you might even get your Hershey’s kisses and M&Ms half price the day after Halloween if you plan ahead for this.)

Directions:
In a large bowl, gently mix all ingredients except Hershey's Kisses.

Place 1/3 to 1/2 cup Thanksgiving Blessing Mix in small cellophane treat bags.
I like to use the clear ones with gold stars. Add one Hershey's Kiss to each bag.
Close bag with twist tie or ribbon.

You can go to this site where they have pre printed cards http://christmas.organizedhome.com/printable/gift-tags/thanksgiving-blessing-mix

Or if you email me at Regardingnannies(at)gmail(dot)com I will send you a pdf file of the design I have at the top of the page.
I print mine on Card Stock but you can also print it on regular paper.
Cut the cards apart, punch a hole in the corner, and tie them onto your bag with your ribbon.

Thanksgiving Blessing Mix

Bugles: Shaped like a cornucopia or Horn of Plenty, a symbol of our nation's abundance.

Pretzels: Arms folded in prayer, a freedom sought by those who founded our country.

Candy corn: Sacrifices of the Pilgrims' first winter. Food was so scarce that settlers survived on
just a few kernels of corn a day.

Nuts or seeds: Promise of a future harvest, one we will reap only if seeds are planted and tended with diligence.

Dried fruits: Harvest gifts of our bountiful land.

M&Ms: Memories of those who came before us to guide us to a blessed future.

Hershey's Kiss: The love of family and friends that sweetens our lives.
You can easily make these a couple weeks ahead of time as long as your bags are sealed.

No comments: