Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Variations on traditional handprint gifts for Mother’s Day

Variations on traditional handprint gifts for Mother’s Day

A classic Mothers Day activity to do with children is the ever popular hand print with the traditional poem. As many times as I have done this project either with a group or with my individual charges as a professional nanny, it still makes me cry.


My Handprints
Sometimes I might upset you
Because I am so small
And always leave my fingerprintson furniture and walls.
But everyday I grow a bit
And soon I'll be so tall
That all those little fingerprints
Will be so hard to recall.
So here's a special handprint
Just so that you can say
This is how my fingers looked
When I placed them here today

Here are several variations of the handprint verse.
http://www.dltk-holidays.com/dad/mhandprintalt.html

In addition to that here are some other ideas of things to do with handprints that make
beautiful keepsake gifts.
You can make a beautiful butterfly with hand and footprints by doing this:Make a side ways print of the left hand, a print of the foot, and side ways print of the right hand, or you can do a print of both feet with the toes at the top and use the childs thumb to make the body with their thumbprints.
I used thumbprints to make the spots on the butterfly and thumbprints to make the body, but another variation would of the one made with the hands would be to use the foot for the body.

Taking the project and putting it in a frame immediately makes it more special because it makes a beautiful display.
If you have older children you might think about doing the Dozen Poses that Kellie shared with us for Valentines Day.




















































































































































































No comments: